St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church
About St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church
St. John the Evangelist in Yalesville has offered Episcopal worship and service in this community since 1868 and with other Episcopal congregations in Connecticut, we show forth the love of Christ in our worship, our teaching, our friendships and our outreach.
The first worship service was held on October 7, 1866 in the District School house in Yalesville. The Rev. E.M. Gushee, Rector of St. Paul’s Church in Wallingford, read Evening Prayer with a small group interested in forming a parish. Morning services began the following year, conducted by a lay reader. In 1868, members petitioned Bishop Williams to form the parish. He laid the cornerstone of a small wooden frame building on July 31st. This first church structure was opened for worship on Pentecost of 1869 and was consecrated two years later.
The original building was demolished in 1960, as it was found to be dangerously rotten. The present “A” frame replaced it, using the old foundation and the sanctuary was renovated in 1986.
For many years, the parish was administered from outside but in 1980 this external connection ended and since then St. John’s has been independent of neighboring congregations.
Parishioners appreciate being part of a caring community that is small enough to know one another well but large enough to have on-going vitality. With little paid staff, most parish upkeep is done by volunteers. We are a group that likes to get involved. Whether it's mowing the lawn, washing altar linens, or reading lessons at Sunday Eucharist, members take pride in serving well. We are also proud of our connection with the Masonic Home.
After 150 years, the congregation is as strong as ever. We look forward with confidence in the Lord who makes all things new, and who never gives a challenge without also giving the power to meet it.